Memories of Ireland

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm a ton Irish on my mom's side and Paul's mom came here from Ireland when she is in her 20s, so we definitely celebrate this holiday.

I thought it might be appropriate today to post some photos from our trip to Ireland in April 2007. It is a beautiful country...its landscape, its people, its history. If you ever get a chance, you must go. I can't wait to go back there again...someday:)

Paul, my sister Laura and I took the trip together and we had a blast. We flew into the Shannon airport on the west coast, rented a car and drove south along the coast. We hit up Limerick, Dingle, Killarney. Then made our way to County Cork to see Blarney and started north to Kilkenny, staying at a few B&Bs along the way. We ended up in Dublin, where we returned the car and stayed a few days/nights in a hotel, then flew home from the Dublin airport. We also visited Paul's family while there and his aunt gave us a tour of the town (north of Dublin along the coast) where they grew up. So we basically did a U shape of the southern half of the country...gotta go back to see the rest!

Driving on the wrong side of the road is hilarious..it takes a bit of getting used to, but its fun. And the roads are very narrow there, there's always something encroaching on the road, like a tall hedge, a stone wall, sheep, cliffs or houses that you have to be careful of.

Ok, enough blabbing, on to the pics:



{Cliffs of Moher, on the west coast, County Clare...looking South}


{looking North}


{white visiting P's cousin in Limerick}


{on the road to Dingle}


{our horse Creagan that pulled us through the Gap of Dunloe on this trap}


{after the pony and trap ride, we took a boat tour down the 3 Lakes of Killarney}



{Blarney Castle}


{from the top of Blarney Castle...look at those amazing yellow fields! That's gorse its everywhere over there and so pretty.}


{on a walk around the B&B where we stayed in Kilkenny}


{a rainy Kilkenny Castle}


{at Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin...that cross marks the spot of the execution of the leaders of the 1916 uprising}


{outside the St. James Gate Guinness Brewery in Dublin}


{sunset over the River Liffey in Dublin}


Are you Irish? How are you celebrating today? Anyone else been to Ireland?

Comments

  1. One of my teacher friends from school is there this week. I'm GREEN with envy. Ha! I'm a little Scot & a little Irish (my maiden name was Dockery), so just have a little fun with it.

    Happy SP Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat pictures! That's pretty much how I imagine Ireland looking like.
    No Irish in my blood, but I still like to sport a little green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Dave and I are part Irish. My dad's family is from Cork and Kerry and Dave's is from Donegal. We went to Ireland last summer actually -- spent 3 days in Galway and 3 days in Dublin and had a great time. If I went again though, I'd spend more time in Dublin and then hit up southern Ireland.

    We celebrated tonight with soda bread (delish!), stew and Guinness (of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. More Scottish than Irish, but I'd take a trip to either place any day! More French than anything else though so maybe I should go to Paris first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to most of those places, not the Castle. It is a wonderful, fun place to visit. Makes me want to go back. We hail from County Cork

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went with 6 family members in 2004 and we hit Dublin, Kilkenny, Killarney and Galway before leaving out of Shannon. It was magical! I went again in 2007 with my husband, my Mom and a cousin, and we went to Dublin and Belfast then spent time in Edinburgh, Scotland. Another amazing trip. I can't wait to return!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts