Boo!

Setting: middle of October, 2008. around 7:30pm on a cold, blustery weeknight. in a quiet neighborhood street somewhere in New England. are you scared yet?

Ding dong. "Huh, who in the world could be ringing our doorbell now? I'd better go see who it is." When I open the front door though, there's no one there. Then I look down...and find a cute little package sitting on my stoop. But there's no one in sight. I snatch up the package and bring it inside and yell to P "Hey, look what somebody left us!" Inside I find 2 pieces of paper, one with a cute poem explaining what the heck is going on, and another with a cute picture of a ghost on it. And lots of fun fall and Halloween related stuff - candles, candy, a photo album, dish towels. Apparently we'd been boo'd by some of our neighbors:)


I'd never heard of this before, have you? It's a cool neighborhood game - if you are Boo'd, you had to pass it on by preparing 2 Boo packages of your own and delivering them, in stealth, to 2 other neighbors who had not been hit yet. It was all explained in this poem (which of course I can't find now), and to let our other neighbors know we'd already been boo'd, we had to put the picture of the ghost on our front door. So the next night I ran out to Target and found a bunch of cheap, fun fall/Halloween stuff. I also found these cute buckets to put them all in. Tied up my poem and ghosts (that you had to photocopy as part of the passing it on process) with some orange rafia and I was ready to go old school ring-the-bell-and-then-run-away-really-fast on these peeps.


{the neighbors we boo'd had kids, but I also included some good fall decor stuff in the buckets for the moms}


Paul drove us around the neighborhood the next night and I ran out (in the pouring rain) to deliver the baskets. It was pretty hilarious to put the basket on the stoop, ring the bell, and then scramble to hide behind a bush or something so that they couldn't see me! And I loved watching their expressions (I probably looked just as funny) when they opened the door and no one was there. Classic! So by the time Halloween came, if you drove around the neighborhood, at least 60% of the houses had ghosts on their front door (not bad for over 70 houses)!!

Anyone ever done this before in your neighborhood? And now the boo party has hit the web!!! And guess what?

I Have Been BOO'd!

The air is cool, the season is fall,
Soon Halloween will come to all.
Ghosts and goblins, spooks galore...
Tricky witches at your door.


The spooks are after things to do,
In fact, a spook brought this "BOO" to you.

The excitement comes when friends like you,
Copy this note and make it two.

We'll all have smiles on our faces,
When we see who Boo'd who's places.



Fun! So I've been boo'd by Roeshel at the DIY Show Off. Now...the following 4 ladies have been officially Boo'd by me:

1. Katyo at The Green Door - she's from my neck of the woods and is doing some major renovations on her Cape Cod style home.
2. Lauren of Doodles by Lauren - the mom of three adorable kiddos, she still has time to have her own business creating super sweet custom childrens' art.
3. Karen at A Day in the Life of Karen - she has a fabulous house and makes one really good looking pregnant woman, can't wait for her little girl to get here!
4. Jodee of Follow the Leaders - I love reading about Jodee and her husband and their 2 kids, they really know how to have a good time...plus she actually says I inspired her to do a home decor project!

This BOO party was started by Toni@The Tattered Cottage. Please keep the fun going by following these instructions.

1. You have 24 hours to work your spell.
2. Copy and post the Halloween Boo Poem with the instructions for playing.
3. Pick 4 blogs you enjoying visiting and tell why you enjoy visiting them, with a link to
their blog and remember to link back to me.

4. Go to the original BOO Party post at the Tattered Cottage and add your MckLinky.
5.
Let's see how fast and far this spreads between now and Halloween!

***Editted: Here's a link for how to start the Halloween Boo in your neighborhood!


Stay tuned for a post soon about what I did last Halloween:)

Comments

  1. You're so lucky! My neighbors keep to themselves...not a friendly face in sight. We gave it a shot one year with a test to the house nearest us. Fail. :(

    So...it's been fun getting to participate in blogland!

    Have a great Halloween!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I want to start this...I wonder if there's something I can think up for Christmas...hmm!
    Have a great Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so cool! Now i want to start this in our neighborhood for some of the fun, young couples who we should spend more time with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, guys! Oh no, sorry Roeshel, that stinks! Who wouldn't want to be friends with you?!

    Heidi and Rebecca, sorry I can't find the poem, but the whole thing was super fun. I was reading Karen's blog this morning and she got boo'd this year for real too..here's her post on it which includes the poem she received:
    http://adayinthelifeofkaren.blogspot.com/2009/10/boo.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW THAT IS SO COOL! LOVE IT! Come on by im doing a giveaway! Love to have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like fun...a nice neighborhood game =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, It is a HUGE deal in our hood...anyone reading my posts about my neighborhood would expect no less! I and the kids ran around in the dark last night getting our BOOS delivered!
    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah!
    How fun you got "BOO"d in your neighborhood and in Blogland ! :) I'm so happy that you are playing along with my "Boo" Party :) Your BOO treats look fabulous! I wish I lived in your neighborhood :)
    Happy Halloween,
    Toni
    The Tattered Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts