Summer Mantel a Little too Late!

Hi! Hope everyone in her path made it through Irene safely! We lost power for about 22 hours, but other than that we were lucky. (It has been a crazy few days though...my sister's flight made it in from London on Saturday, but my Dad's from Texas got canceled because of the hurricane. Early Sunday morning my grandmother passed away and Maura's Christening scheduled for that afternoon got postponed due to the storm.)

On a happier note, I finally finished decorating my mantel for summer. What? The day after tomorrow is September? Oh. Hmph. I had such great intentions. I started in early June during one of Maura's naps and then she woke up. And then it was the end of August. And I had never gone back to it. I guess late is better than never. Plus, its not sooo summery that I can't leave it up through the beginning of autumn, since apparently decorating for the seasons is not a top priority when you have a toddler:)


I wanted something light and bright and airy. First I draped these capiz shell garlands from West Elm (waaaay back in the day, I've had them forever, no longer sold) on the mantel. I love how they catch the light and sparkle, but since they're white shells on white wood, its a lovely subtle effect.




Next I added these matted botanical prints, which were pages from a wildflower book that I cut out. (Click here to see how I used them last spring on the mantel with some other stuff.)



This seemed like a good spot for the DIY faux terrariums I made this past spring (they used to be on our coffee table but then Maura got mobile and they need to be up high now), so I put one on each side of the mirror to keep the whole symmetrical vibe going.



Lastly, I love how these old apothecary jars I found this year at the Brimfield Antique Show look together with the white and green. They kind of add to that layered but not a lot of contrast feel that I was after.


I'm so not ready for summer to be over and fall to be here, but if you actually have your mantels ready for the appropriate season as opposed to two months too late, link up your fall one at
Layla's Fall Mantel Party on September 27th at The Lettered Cottage (part of Layla, Rhoda, Kate and Sarah's It's Fall Y'all Autumn Link Parties)!

Comments

  1. First off, I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Second, I am happy everyone was safe after the storm. Third, very cute mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your Grandmother Sarah. Sounds like the storm put a little wrench into your plans, but it seems your upbeat attitude is saving the day. Hang in there I know you have a very busy month, it will all come together!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Sarah.
    On a happier note, I'm digging your new mantle. It is season-less. Not specific to any season, so perfect for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good, I do the same thing - I start something and then maybe get around to finishing it a few months later. We have something else in common ;) Your mantle looks really great and I love the botanical print. I'm also very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Life can be really crazy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantle is beautiful! And, summer isn't actually over yet ;). But, I do the same thing ... in fact, I just planted flowers in my front planters last weekend. Better late than never?? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts