Ian's Nursery: The Reveal

Well, the dude is 20 months old, so I figured its time I share his nursery with you!


We kept the layout, furniture, and paint color the same as when Maura was in here as a baby, so this was more just a task of swapping out the bedding, rug, and accessories from girl to boy. I had already mulled this over way back in 2011 when I did a guest post over at Honey & Fitz...so first thing I did when I found out we were having a boy was to reread it. I was still smitten with this vintage map and starry night bunting from etsy seller moon and lion, so I had Macky make me one (she is awesome!) and then proceeded forward with my idea of an explorer/adventurer/travel kinda theme.








{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}

The drapes are my favorite part of the room! I really wanted something with a fun pattern on a white background. I was inspired by some curtains from Land of Nod (no longer sold) that were really tiny navy blue fish all swimming in the small direction...but the scale of the print was just too small. So I decided to make my own using hand-made stamps and fabric paint on white Ikea Merete panels. I designed two fish silhouettes in the sizes that I wanted and made my own block print stamps to use. Super fun and super easy, although tedious to stamp so many fish on all four curtain panels...worth it in the end cause I love them and Ian does too!!! (Ps. I know, these curtain rods are not ideal. They should be thicker and probably a different color with a more masculine finial at the end, but they were here for Maura's room and I just got lazy and cheap and kept them up. Also, I'd love to change out the old white plastic roller shades for something better, but these guys are the best for blocking out light, so right now they are practical.)

{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}
{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}
{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}
{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}

The dresser stayed the same...even using Maura's green changing pad cover. Just swapped the storage caddy out for a navy one and found a new lamp at HomeGoods. These frames were also here, I just took out the botanical art that was in there and printed out some National Park images from freevintageposters.com to add to that adventure/exploration feel.




{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}
{photo courtesy of Sweet Connolly Photography}

 So you can see the comparison, here's some shots of this room before, when it was Maura's nursery:

{Maura on the left, Ian on the right}
{Maura on the left, Ian on the right}
{Maura on the left, Ian on the right}
I'm so happy with how this room came out. And we have loved spending time with this little guy (and Maura) in here over the last year and a half! Have any of you guys converted a nursery from one sex to the other?

Sources:

-paint color: Heaven on Earth by Benjamin Moore
-area rug: Nomad Printed Cotton Dhurrie in Straw from West Elm, no longer sold
-crib skirt and bumper: Serena & Lily Candy Stripe Crib Skirt in Sprout and Nursery Basics Crib Bumper in Sprout
-crib sheet: Babies R Us Percale Crib Sheet in Sports Stars
-map: Borders going out of business sale
-elephant chair: Cuddle Plush Elephant Chair from Restoration Hardware baby & child
-dresser: Ikea Hemnes 8 drawer dresser in white
-changing table storage basket: Pottery Barn Kids Navy Geo Nursery Storage
-green table lamp: HomeGoods
-national park posters: DIY prints from freevintageposters.com
-glider: Potter Barn Kids Comfort Grand Swivel Rocker
-throw blanket: Favorite Throw Stripe in Bean Sprout from West Elm
-striped round basket: HomeGoods
-white ledge shelves: Ikea Ribba Picture ledge in white
-bear and pirate ship vintage woodcut greeting cards: Brimfield Antique show
-letterpress "PLAY" blocks: Brimfield Antique show
-Animals of North America print: Land of Nod, no longer sold
-fish drapes: DIY stamped using Ikea's Merete curtains in white

PS. If you're curious about the evolution of this room, here's some old posts with more info....part I: Nursery Switch, part II: Rug and Bedding, part III: Art, and part IV: Accessories.

PPS. Linking up to Silver Pennies Sundays over at Danielle's, Be Inspired at Elizabeth & Co., That DIY Party with Roeshel and March '15 Before and Afters over at Thrifty Decor Chick:)

TDC Before and After


That DIY Party @diyshowoff.com

Elizabeth and Co.



Comments

  1. Sarah it's absolutely adorable!! And those curtains I think are my favorite too, I think I may go stamp all of mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Everything looks absolutely amazing! This gives me such inspiration for my LO's nursery... She'll be here in a month!

    Jenny
    www.eversojenny.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This room is so fresh and serene. I love all the fun touches like the national parks pictures and the pennant banner with maps and stars. My favorite part is the draperies. They caught my eye instantly. Something about their simple pattern and motif-they make the whole room! Great job! Enjoy that sweet baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely charming nursery! It fun and whimsical, but sophisticated at the same time. And those curtains , oh my, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to feature you at the party this morning! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful space. Playful and fun but not cartoonish. My favorite kind of nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute room! Love the curtains especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah - I LOVE how Ian's nursery turned out. Those panels that you made with the fish stamps are unbelievable girl!!!!! They make the room - pinned!! :) It's really adorable and dare I say I might even like it more than Maura's nursery? And this is off topic sort of, but Sheila is really into Olivia right now and every time I hear Olivia talk about her brother Ian makes me think of you. Hope you guys are doing great - I know you've been inundated with snow. Spring is near!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fantastic nursery - very calm and serene! The curtains are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, Love, Love this! I'll be following for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is super pretty ! Love your style of kids room decor! :)Thanks for sharing your ideas.....
    kids curtains

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Ian's nursery looks so cozy and refreshing. The pale colors did an amazing job in balancing out the pastel colors. The transformation is subtle, but it is there. At any rate, thanks for that mini tour, Sarah. All the best to you and your family!

    Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to know!! I really recommend other to read this article .Keep up the good work . Click here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good work! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your source for fun, free mobile and PC download games. Thousands of free ... Download or play free online! ... Here is the Exact Arcade Version of Dig Dug!
    fall guys download for pc highly compressed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts