A Frame Makeover

Hi! I've had this really large (like 11" x 14" opening) with a huge profile (3 or 4 inches all around) frame kicking around for a while. But it was black and a bit heavy and dramatic. So in effort to lighten and brighten things up, one night after Maura went to bed I painted it white. I just used some random white trim paint we had lying around in the basement, and didn't even sand it before hand. It took a couple of coats to cover and then at the end I sanded down the edges to reveal some of the original black and give it that distressed look. I also got out my regular old artist acrylic paints and brushed watered-down black and raw umber in various areas, wiping it off with a paper towel, to add more dimension and antiquiness.

{before...all ready for painting with Frog Tape}

{after}

I liked it a lot better once I was done and decided to use it on my ledge shelves in the family room (I hadn't restyled them since I took down the Christmas stuff). I went brighter here than in the bookcase in the foyer because I needed some injection of color after all this snow we've been getting. I set up the frame in the middle of the two shelves, with a corner lying on each. This is something I've never done before and I like how it makes this look like one long vignette/shelf, instead of two distinct, different ones.


I love this yellow and orange print, its actually from a really cool 2010 calendar I had (that's the top half of the word June down there at the bottom). The entire calendar was designed and printed by different members of the Ffrench family (yes, even the kids!) who live in Stockbridge, MA and own The Dolphin Studio. They've been collaborating together to make a calendar each year for the last 40 years!


The smaller print is actually from a calendar as well (one of my favorite sources for cheap wall art - the other is to cut pages out of books)...my Cavallini Japanese Woodblock calendar that I already used in our downstairs bathroom here.

{I collect letter "P"s}


PS. Some exciting stuff coming up - stay tuned for a giveaway and the next Mood Board Monday announcement:)

Comments

  1. Hi. I just wanted to let you know that for your past few posts, your pictures don't show up in Google Reader. They display as red squares. They are fine once I go to your site, but are all broken in the Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Thanks for the heads up, Julie! That sucks:( I'm so bad at techy stuff, I'll have to figure this out. I've been using snapfish lately to store my pics, I wonder if that's why. Thanks so much for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts