Mercury Glass and Type

I'm finally getting around to putting up some winter/post-holiday decor. I find this the hardest part of the year to seasonally decorate for - what about you guys? I started with the bookcase in the foyer because this was the only space I had somewhat of an idea for:)



I love mercury glass and even though I had it on the mantel for Christmas, I still want to enjoy it for a bit longer, so I used a couple of pieces on the top of the bookcase.



From there I just went for a color palette. I thought black, white/cream and gray might be pretty so I shopped around the house for things with these tones that might work. I love using books as decor, I mean, they need to be stored anyways (and they come in every color), so why not kill two birds with one stone?!




Then I began to notice a sort of theme emerging, a lot of the things I was pulling had text on them. So I went with it. I love the graphic quality that type adds to a vignette.


{this gray album was one of my wedding presents to Paul..its filled with black and white photos of us as well as memories I jotted down}

{these are my dad's stamps that certify he's a registered professional engineer in the state of New York and Commonwealth of Massachusetts amongst others...he was going to throw them out this summer while cleaning out the basement, but I saved them for myself}


PS. To see how this bookcase changes through the seasons, check out these posts: last year's winter look (also featuring mercury glass), fall 2009, fall 2010, Christmas, summer.

Comments

  1. I have sevarl pieces of vintage mercury glass which I display all year long. It is too pretty to only use part of the year. Your bookcase looks very pretty and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mercury glass and type. And the fact that you rescued your Dad's stamp. Beautiful!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Mercury glass! I've been on the hunt for mercury glass lamps for our bedroom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts