The Wall Came Down!

So...don't be mad or disappointed (or excited because you were really lying to me when you told me you liked it!!!)...but I took the living room gallery wall down. I didn't quit on it or give up, I (ok, we) decided that its not the best thing for that wall or that spot in our house (actually...when Paul got home from his business trip and saw it for the first time he said it wasn't as ugly as he thought it would be!!!). I could have definitely made it doable/passable with all the great advice and suggestions you guys gave me (thanks so much!), but I realized that I was never going to LOVE it. And I don't want to be staring at something/passing something everyday that's just OK. This wall is so central to our main living space that it deserves something better than just a quick fix to use up stuff I had in the basement. Hopefully I'm not disappointing any of you:)

I'm going to start over though. I had wanted for awhile to do a gallery wall of family photos (probably all black and white pics). No clue where that idea was though when I was wondering what to do with this blank living room wall...I must have been having a senior moment and forgot all about it (I'm going to turn 33 in a few weeks, after all). So that's my new plan. I will incorporate a lot of your ideas going forward so that I don't mess up again...keep the frames all one color, don't leave too much space in between them, and get some piece of furniture to anchor the wall. I think having a consistent subject matter will help too (plus, now these pics will all be special and important to us, not just a few sentimental pieces hung in between random filler art)...photos like these:


{my maternal grandmother and grandfather on their wedding day}


{my paternal grandparents on their wedding day}


Not sure if I will do all black frames:



{source}




{above 2 images from thenest.com Decorating and Renovating FAQ bio}


or all white frames:






{above 2 images from thenest.com Decorating and Renovating FAQ bio}


or brown or silver...or some other random custom color:


{source}


But I have a feeling we will love this wall a lot better once I'm done:) Thoughts?

Comments

  1. I like this direction better. Those old photos are fabulous and much more meaningful. I'm glad you were able to work this out and come to a more fitting solution for that wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I love the idea of a wall of family photographs -- my parents had one when I was growing up and I loved staring at it, trying to imagine my grandparents as their younger selves, etc.

    I also think if you're sticking with b&w photographs, best to do a white matt with a black frame, but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the black frames with a white matt!Cant wait to see pictures as you make progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love black frames with black and white photos.
    Can't wait to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea. Cleaner and sleeker for all being black and white, and meaningful too.
    I vote for all skinny black frames of the same stock (like the 2nd pic from the nest) so, even if the finished sizes are different, the frames and mats are consistent. Puts the emphasis on the subjects where it belongs.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely like all the black frames. It's so crisp and classy!

    I just found your blog: I love it! = )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys! Too funny... at first I was thinking black frames, now I'm thinking white. But you all voted for black. Hmm....but either way, for sure I will use mats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think either black or white but I'd probably go with black too. ;) I plan to do an espresso when I get to that project. I love special photos. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, too funny!!!! I personally like black frames with the thick white mattes. I am sure you will come up with something you love! I am proud of you for not settling for something you don't love. I hate when I complete a home decor project and am not in love with it. I have several of those that are in need to fixing. Hope all is well with you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts