Our Home Goals 2011

I wanted to put together a list of home stuff/projects I hope to accomplish in the coming year and then when I read that the Nester is going to have a Home Goal Linky party today, I actually did it:) Unlike most of the items on my To Do List for 2010. Oops. I just went back to investigate what was on my list for last year (downstairs and upstairs) and completely cracked up because barely any of the items got done, which means they are now on my '11 list. Perhaps one of my goals should just be "get something done and crossed off the goals list"!!!!

Anyways, here are some GENERAL, OVERALL GOALS for our home for 2011 and the future:
  • start to find a balance between a home that looks good/how I want and a home that is kid-friendly
  • add more pattern/print
  • add more whimsy
  • declutter and organize
  • incorporate more things in my style (hmmm...what is my style? constantly changing...some mix of coastal, cottage, farmhouse, country, estate, traditional, contemporary and eclectic...lol)
Here are some more SPECIFIC, CONCRETE TASKS categorized by room:

FOYER:
  • find new lighting (some sort of large lantern) and have installed
  • paint inside of front door black
  • hire Sean to paint walls
  • add wall art to either side of front door
  • pick up Grandma's bow front dresser from Aunt Peg and see how it looks here instead of the bookcase)

KITCHEN:
  • paint small black cabinet some fun color
  • redo wall art above black cabinet
  • replace these paper canvases with more meaningful/substantial art


LIVING ROOM:
  • do something with gigantic blank wall
  • get dry sink from Cape house and refinish/paint, use for storage
  • figure out window treatments (I'm not happy with the ones we have now, maybe plantation shutters to coordinate with family room?)
  • create and hang photo gallery wall of family pics

{huge blank wall...except now this room has hardwood floors and there's a Pack-N-Play sitting here!}


FAMILY ROOM:
  • find area rug
  • figure out window treatments (maybe plantation shutters?)
  • line back of entertainment center with some sort of patterned wallpaper/paper
  • repaint oar and hang


DINING ROOM:
  • steal drapery panels from living room and rehang here
  • buy and install bamboo shades
  • find hutch or sideboard on Craigs List, etc. and paint
  • maybe paint ceiling a cool color?
  • continue search for patterned, upholstered parsons chairs for ends of table

{after the new floors were installed but before furniture went back...at least you can see the sad windows}


MAURA'S ROOM:
  • paint this old oak bookcase (white?)
  • hang ceramic birds from ceiling

{this bookshelf thing was hanging out at my parent's beach house...I took it home because they didn't want it anymore and put it here in the nursery to hold Maura's books, toys, etc. but I would rather it be another color}


OFFICE:
  • finish painting trim!
  • figure out a work space
  • hang cork boards
  • hang some wall art
  • organize desk
  • paint bookcase?, organize bookcase

{holy embarrassing photo, Batman!}

BASEMENT:
  • clean out, declutter, organize
  • convert to area for working out?
So, not that much to do, right?! Anyone else have a goals/to do list for 2011? Yikes, I'd better get started. But first, I hear the baby crying....

Thanks for hosting, Nester! (I work better with deadlines!)

Comments

  1. I think it is smart to do list like yours. Even if they don't get done this year. Time and budget are always our stumbling blocks so we have to allow for that. I bet you get more done than not, Good luck on your productive upcoming New Year.

    I am having a giveaway on my blog for my one year blogaversary and it is a $75 gift card for the container store. It might be a big help in your organizing goals, Come by when you have a chance!! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing everything down and evaluating so I think your list is great. I am in love with your dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand your office photos. Mine is ten times worse! That's one of my goals for the New Year. Looks like you have some really beautiful spaces to work with. I'm sure it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am terrified to write a list, but I look forward to seeing what you do with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're dining room floors are beautiful! My dining room is a blue-ish color and I painted my ceiling a moussy chocolate color. You can see it here: http://ericaharless.blogspot.com/2010/04/after-switch-roo.html

    Found you via Nester's link party. Please come by and say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you showed us your office. I always appreciate it when another blogger is real with her readers. :) Your home is lovely, and I bet it will be even more fabulous with the updates. I'd go for white with your daughter's bookcase...white always seems to work for little girls. :) I'm visiting from The Nester's Home Goals party. I hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for a good painter, who is Sean? Is he a friend or someone you hire.
    Better hurry up with the projects that involve P, golf season is coming up!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the way you organized your to-do list. I think I'm going to create a to-do list for our home as well. And I LOVE your office picture (seriously!). That is the room in our home that always get's the short-end of the stick and it's nice to see we are not the only one's who don't have a perfectly organized office. Although, fingers crossed, that will change as it will be on my to-do list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, dear!
    I'm awarding you the "Stylish Blogger Award" for your inspiring and lovely blog! This award is passed on from blogger to blogger. I received the award from someone, and I'm passing the award to you. Part of this award is to write seven things about yourself (in your blog post) and pass this award to 15 other recently discovered blogs you think deserve this award too.
    You can see my post and the link for the award here:
    http://loftandcottage.blogspot.com/2011/01/among-very-stylish-company.html

    Cheers!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like lots of fun!!! Enjoy baby and all the home goals.
    Shannon
    www.akadesign.ca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts