Brimfield Finds: Part 2

I'm so glad you guys liked everything I bought at the Brimfield Antique Show for BG and her nursery (thanks for humoring me on her name, too!). I did buy two small things for myself as well, I couldn't help it. And coincidentally, they both fall under the same category - glass vessels:)

Remember last year I entered the world of the mason jar by purchasing a #13 Blue Ball Mason Jar after learning that they are really rare because they were all superstitiously smashed during Prohibition as they were thought to be unlucky?


I love the color and the story behind the maker's mark 13 on the bottom of each jar. Now this guy sits here, on my entertainment center.


This time when I went to Brimfield, I wanted to see if I could find this guy a friend. And I did:) So now I have 2 #13 blue jars. I guess I'm a collector:)

{see the 13 on the bottom of the jar?}


This next one is the "find" I'm most excited about. Really, it wasn't hard to find as this was the first booth I came upon after parking my car first thing in the morning! So I was like "Ooohh, huge over-sized wine bottles, those are so cool!" And snapped this picture. Then I kept walking, I mean, I couldn't buy something at the first tent I see, right?!



I'd noticed these large bottles/vases before, especially in the Pottery Barn catalog, and loved them. Here's PB's...Found Oversized Wine Bottles - "Purchased from a collector who carefully selected them from restaurants throughout Central Europe, these vintage glass bottles were once used to store wine or sunflower oil." They're small ones start at $99.00 and the extra-large ones (at 22" high) go for a costly $279.00. So I figured I wouldn't be getting one of these anytime soon!



In the meantime then, I lived in a fantasy world and instead used them in our Mood Board Monday party about bold and bright area rugs. See #15?




Well, guess what? I met one of Pottery Barn's "collectors" at Brimfield!!! I had finished the show (read had enough of walking around in the heat pregnant, my feet were killing me and I'd spent all the cash I'd brought) and was heading back to the car when of course I had to walk by that booth again. And those over-sized bottles were calling to me. Plus, I'd only bought myself one thing, the blue mason jar.

I'm a terrible bargainer, but I thought I might as well give it a shot with this guy, it being the end of the day and the exhibitors getting ready to pack up and all. So I said to him "Hi! What's the cheapest you'd give one of these to me for?!" Ha! Subtle, huh?! He told me he had 2 bottles with a chip out of the tops and those were going for $16 less than the rest (which were already under the price of the smallest of one of PB's bottles...and these were 25" high, even bigger than their largest ones.) He also said he is selling these for a "loss" just to get rid of them here at the show (he really does sell some of the stuff he finds to Pottery Barn), so he's not going to go any lower. He didn't even bother cleaning the bottles, as you can tell from the above photo, because it wasn't worth his time. I stood there for about 35 minutes deciding if I should get one...and in the end, I went for it!



So now I own my very own gigantic bottle...this specific one is all the way from France and was used in the 20s to make wine. (I'm not sure where I'm going to put this thing, for now I just snapped it here cause that's where the sun was coming in and so that you could get a sense for how big it is.) Usually I probably would have paid the extra $16 to get one that was completely flawless, but for some reason in this case, I decided to save a bit of money and go for one of the chipped ones (kinda like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree that nobody wants)...plus I thought the irregular top only added to the antique charm of the thing.

Here's another shot so you can see the scale, its heavy too! I still have to clean it...the guy told me to buy denture cleaning tablet thingies and throw about a dozen in there and fill it with water and let it sit for a couple of days!




Hopefully I made the right choice! Thanks for following along on my "antique" shopping trip, guys!

What's up for the long holiday weekend? I love Memorial Day because its the unofficial kick-off of summer. Usually we'd be down the Cape opening up our beach house for the season, but this year (as in a couple of hours) we are headed out of town to Minnesota for my cousin's wedding. I've never been before, I'm excited to see what that part of the country is like! Have a great weekend, everyone:)

Comments

  1. Love the story about the #13 on the jars, I have never heard that one before. I am so glad you were able to get the bottle you wanted they are a really cool color and shape, I know you will enjoy for a very long time. Happy Long Weekend,Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made some terrific purchases, and I'm thinking I need to look for these wine bottles. The color is great, and I'm all about large scale pieces these days. I think you did great!
    www.divinedistractions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts